Friday, November 25, 2011

Another Thanksgiving Dinner Come and Gone ....

I get a little depressed the day after Thanksgiving ... my favorite holiday.  I think it's because when my grandparents were alive, they made the holiday every year quite special for me.  My Grandma was the best sweet potato and pumpkin pie baker ever, and her cornbread dressing was so good, you kept eating until you couldn't stuff another bite into your mouth and the gravy .. oh how divine.  She also crafted southern "fried pies" that she'd make when she felt like it (fried in a cast iron skillet in an inch of grease).. sometimes they'd show up on her every day "dinner" table as she called it (lunch to us moderns) and we'd eat them 'til we had to push ourselves away from the table.  When we were kids, my cousin Donald and I competed every time the fried pies showed up to determine who could eat the most .. he usually won but I was a contender.  Anyway, these days, decades after both grandparents left us, my children are either married with inlaws or living in another city .. Thanksgiving doesn't have the same warm and fuzzy feeling as it did when I was younger.  Yesterday I had dinner with my son, his wife and his inlaws.  Not at all like sitting at Grandma's table.  However, I continue to give thanks because God has blessed me and my family.  My cup runneth over.  I do miss my grandparents every day though, especially on Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment